History

Pace Academy was founded in 1958 by an interfaith group of community leaders who envisioned an educational environment open to fresh ideas and debate.
 

Located in Atlanta, Ga., the school’s iconic “Castle” was originally a private home, built in 1931. Mills B. Lane, then president of the C & S Bank and one of the prime movers behind Pace's establishment, helped the new school acquire the Ogden property and its 20 acres of gardens, fields and hills. Frank D. Kaley became Pace’s first headmaster and, with an initial enrollment of 178 students, the school opened its doors. Renovations to the Ogden house took place from 1958 to 1962 to accommodate administrative offices and classrooms. An additional academic building was constructed in 1961, adding classrooms, a cafeteria and a library to the campus, and athletic fields were established. In 1964, Pace graduated its first class of 13 students. Boyd Gymnasium, dedicated in memory of Parents Club President William T. Boyd, was constructed in 1966.

The 1971-1972 school year was one of the most formative in Pace’s history. A new library and additional classrooms were added to the academic building, renamed Bridges Hall; a natatorium was erected behind Boyd Gymnasium; and tennis courts were installed at the rear of the campus. One hundred new students joined the student body that fall; the faculty expanded to accommodate the influx; and Pace launched its successful debate and service learning programs.

Kaley retired as headmaster in 1972, leaving as his legacy the Pace motto, “To have the courage to strive for excellence,” and the school’s coat of arms. Headmaster George G. Kirkpatrick assumed leadership of the school. Although Pace was accredited by the Georgia Accreditation Committee from its inception, 1973 saw its accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In 1976, Pace purchased the Randall family property adjacent to the school. First used to house Pace’s fine arts programs, the Randall House offered the possibility of providing separate classroom facilities for the Upper and Lower Schools. The Lower School classroom building was built as an addition to the Randall House in 1983.

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

In 2007, Pace entered into an historic agreement with the neighborhood association that both preserved the school’s small family feel and expanded its facilities to accommodate a moderate increase in enrollment. As a part of this plan, Pace realized its need for expanded athletic facilities and acquired two parcels, an eight-acre baseball/softball complex on Warren Road and a 23-acre tract on Riverview Road in Cobb County to accommodate the new football program and other athletic teams. The Board also authorized SHINE, a capital campaign to build the new athletic facilities, refurbish and add onto the Lower School, and enhance the school’s faculty endowment.

In 2009, the Board of Trustees authorized the creation of the Global Education program to provide students with a range of curriculum-based travel opportunities. The 2011-12 year marked the 40th anniversary of Pace’s successful debate and service learning programs. In 2012, the school launched Aim High, a $32-million campaign to build a new Upper School. The campaign exceeded its goal, raising more than $35 million and allowing for the construction of the Arthur M. Blank Family Upper School and Walsh Field, a stadium and track at the school’s satellite Athletics Complex. Both facilities opened in August 2014.

Pace continued to fulfill its mission to create prepared, confident citizens of the world with the launch of the Isdell Center for Global Leadership (ICGL) in 2014. The collaborative, cross-divisional program supports a well-rounded global education for every Pace graduate by exploring an annual, school-wide global theme.

Hero Image